Alan H. Goodman
Alan H. Goodman is a biological anthropologist and the author/editor of numerous publications, including Building a New Biocultural Synthesis (1999), Genetic Nature/Culture (2003), 978-0-8493-2720-9 The Nature of Difference (2006), and "Nutritional Anthropology: Biocultural Perspectives on Food and Nutrition" (2012). He received his PhD from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, was a postdoctoral fellow in international nutrition at the University of Connecticut, and a research fellow in stress physiology at the Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm.
He served as president of the American Anthropological Association from 2005 to 2007 and has been an important contributor to many of the organization's projects, including RACE: Are We So Different?. He is also the author of the companion book (2012) for the project. He has been a professor of anthropology at Hampshire College since 1985 where he is a former dean of the School of Natural Science, Vice President for Academic Affairs, and Dean of Faculty. He is a founding member of the Five College Consortium "Culture, Health and Science " program and currently teaches courses in Hampshire's School of Natural Science, including Human Variation: Race, Science, and Politics, and Sex, Death and Teeth: Life Stories Recorded in Teeth.
His books include:
- AH Goodman, Y Moses, and JL Jones. (2012). Race: Are We So Different? Wiley-Blackwell, est. 286 pages.
- DL Dufour, AH Goodman and G Pelto (eds.). (2012). Nutritional Anthropology: Biocultural Perspectives on Food and Nutrition, 2e. (Oxford University Press, 544 pages.
- J. Jones, M.M. Overvbey, AH Goodman, C. Mukhopadhyay, Y. Moses and A Beckrich. (2007). RACE: A Teacher’s Guide for Middle School. American Anthropological Association, Arlington, VA, 68 pages.
- G. Ellison and A. Goodman (eds.) (2006). The Nature of Difference: Science, Society and Human Biology. Taylor and Francis, London.
- AH Goodman and TL Leatherman (eds.). (1998). Building a New Biocultural Synthesis: Political-Economic Perspectives on Human Biology. University of Michigan Press.
His recent articles include:
- J Farrell, D Amarasiriwardena, AH Goodman and B Arriaza. (2013). Bioimaging of trace metals in ancient Chilean mummies and contemporary Egyptian teeth by laser ablation-inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry (LA-ICP-MS). "Microchemical Journal" 106:340–346.
- TL Leatherman and AH Goodman. (2011). Critical Biomedical Approaches in Medical Anthropology. In. M. Singer and P Ericson (eds.) "A Companion to Medical Anthropology". Wiley-Blackwell. pp 29–48.
- TL Leatherman, AH Goodman and Tobias Stillman. (2010). Changes in Stature, Weight and Nutritional Status with Tourism-Based Economic Development in the Yucatan Economics and Human Biology 8(2):153–158.
- AE Dolphin and AH Goodman. (2009). Maternal Diets, Nutritional Status, and Zinc in Contemporary Mexican Infants’ Teeth” Implications for Reconstructing Paleodiets. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 140:399–409.
- "Alan Goodman Is Appointed Hampshire College Interim Dean of Faculty". American Anthropological Association. 26 May 2009. Retrieved 2014-12-15.
- "Alan Goodman, Professor of Biological Anthropology". Hampshire College. Retrieved 2014-12-15.