Peter A. Ramsey
1962/1963 (age 56–57)
|Occupation||Film director, illustrator, storyboard artist|
|Rise of the Guardians|
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Peter A. Ramsey (born 1962 or 1963) is an American film director, illustrator, and writer. He is best known for directing DreamWorks Animation's Rise of the Guardians (2012) and Sony Pictures Animation's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), the latter of which he co-directed alongside Bob Persichetti and Rodney Rothman. He is the first African American to be nominated for and win an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.
Ramsey grew up in the Crenshaw District of South Los Angeles, and graduated at 17 from Pali High. He studied painting at UCLA for two years before enrolling in film classes at Los Angeles City College.
His first job in Hollywood was painting a mural, but soon he was working as a storyboard artist and production illustrator on 26 films including Predator 2, Backdraft, Independence Day, Fight Club and A.I. Artificial Intelligence. He was a second unit director for Poetic Justice, Higher Learning, Tank Girl and Godzilla. Aron Warner, the producer of Tank Girl, suggested he join DreamWorks Animation. After initially being uninterested, Ramsey joined DreamWorks as a story artist for Shrek the Third and Shrek the Halls.
In 2012 he directed Rise of the Guardians, based on William Joyce's The Guardians of Childhood books, making him the first African-American to direct a big budget animated feature. In 2018, he co-directed Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, which won the 2019 Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.
- Monsters vs. Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins from Outer Space (2009)
- Rise of the Guardians (2012)
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) (co-director with Bob Persichetti and Rodney Rothman)
Second unit director
- A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)
- Predator 2 (1990)
- Tank Girl (1995)
- Eye for an Eye (1996)
- Independence Day (1996)
- Men in Black (1997)
- Godzilla (1998)
- Being John Malkovich (1999)
- Fight Club (1999)
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
- Cast Away (2000)
- A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)
- The Affair of the Necklace (2001)
- Panic Room (2002)
- Minority Report (2002)
- Adaptation. (2002)
- The Core (2003)
- Spartan (2004)
- Shark Tale (2004) (additional)
- Penguins of Madagascar (2014) (additional)
- Sausage Party (2016) (additional)
- Duck Duck Goose (2018) (additional)
- A Wrinkle in Time (2018)
- Backdraft (1991)
- Far and Away (1992)
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
- The Shadow (1994)
- Batman Forever (1995)
- EDtv (1999)
- Almost an Angel (1990) (continuity artist)
- Monsters vs. Aliens (2009) (head of story)
- Puss in Boots (2011) (creative consultant)
- Hair Love (2019) (executive producer)
- Tulich, Katherine (July 21, 2012). "'Rise of the Guardians' director a self-taught success". Glendale News-Press. Glendale, California. Retrieved January 23, 2013.
- McDonald, Pamela Mays. "Another "First" in Artistic Achievement: Director Peter Ramsey". Black Voices. HuffPost. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- Cavna, Michael (30 November 2012). "'RISE OF THE GUARDIANS': 'The Obama of animation'? Director Peter Ramsey deflects the comparison — but not the responsibility". Washington Post. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "Oscar Nominations 2019: The Complete List". Variety. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Careers In Film Summit - Biographies". Oscars.org. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- Grobar, Matt (January 18, 2017). "Sony's Untitled 'Spider-Man' Animated Film To Feature Miles Morales As Lead Character". Deadline. Retrieved January 22, 2017.
- McMillan, Graeme (August 9, 2019). "Lion Forge Animation Launches With 'Hair Love' Short". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 11, 2019.